Chocolate Coffee Cake
- 250g plain flour
- 400g caster sugar
- 55g unsweetened cocoa powder
- 120ml vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 225ml buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 225ml hot water
Prep:15min › Cook:30min › Extra time:20min cooling › Ready in:1hr5min
- Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Grease two 23cm round cake tins.
- Measure flour, sugar, cocoa, oil, eggs, buttermilk, baking powder, bicarb and salt into a mixing bowl. Dissolve instant coffee in hot water, and add to mixing bowl. Beat at medium speed for 2 minutes until smooth; mixture will be thin. Pour into prepared tins.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean. Cool in tins for 10 minutes, and then turn out onto racks to cool completely.
- Ice cooled cake with Coffee Icing. After icing, melt some plain chocolate in a double boiler. Drizzle chocolate around top outside edges l